Saturday 16 January 2010

A little bit about my background with the Conservatives..

Whilst Gordon Brown continues to brainwash people with his ridiculous notion that Labour is the party of aspiration (not stating that the rich have got richer and the poor poorer under this Labour Government and enterprise is utterly stifled) , I thought I might give myself further introduction to those who might be following this (an extract from a piece of writing which I sent as an article for a local (and indeed excellent), north London Ezine - http://www.stingraymag.com/...

My first proper recollections of a “Conservative Party” might be back in 1990 when Margaret Thatcher left office as Prime Minister of the country. Her emotional farewell as she stepped into the waiting car in Downing Street made me realise the fleeting moments of history but also the proud achievements of a government who had allowed the country to grow wealthy again since the strikes and unrest of the 1970s. I also remember when Chris Patten lost his seat in Bath before going on to be the last British governor of Hong Kong. I was only about 8-10 years old when I first witnessed these events.
I suppose the influence for me becoming a supporter of the Conservative Party was my parents. They are both Conservative by instinct and have always believed that the Party offered them the fairest opportunity to achieve their goals in life – whether it be through a tax system which was supportive of small business or of a Party that respected the individual’s right to accountable Government. My abiding belief, similar to that of my parents, is that the Conservatives believe in the principle of a low-tax economy. This means that ordinary people have more money in their pockets rather than the state taking more in order to spend it on what they think is best for the people.
My activism within the Conservatives began as a student at Exeter University with Conservative Future. During this time, I had the opportunity to be involved in social events as well as helping as a returning officer for the local student election. I attended a few talks too – they included speakers such as Ann Widdecome and Dr Liam Fox.
During my degree, my parents moved from Bath to Torbay in Devon. As a result, I then got involved with Torbay Conservative Future which meant that I also worked closely at times with the PPC (Parliamentary Party Candidate) for the Torbay seat – currently held by the Liberal Democrats (hopefully Marcus Wood will win this time in 2010 - Torquay has many issues that need sorting). Before moving to London, I became the Deputy Chair of Torbay Conservative Future and even went to the final hustings for the Conservatives leadership election – meeting David Cameron personally.
Finally, after a year or so in London, I decided I had to be involved with the Conservatives in London – my interest and passion in politics is still strong and I am now key member of the Tottenham Conservative Association. My activism within the Party has increased dramatically – I regularly spend free time during weeks and weekends leafleting, canvassing and working closely with the Chair of the Association. I’ve learnt a huge amount about my local area – currently held by the Labour MP, David Lammy. He has a significant majority so we have a high mountain to climb but I do feel now that the Conservative message is getting through. One thing I notice in my local area is that they complain a huge amount about their local politicians but never seem to vote out the long-standing incumbent Labour councillors and MP! Change in the Haringey borough (based within the Tottenham constituency) is desperately needed – huge unemployment, high crime levels and the scandals of Victoria ClimbiĆ© and Baby P are woeful reflections of the real need for change.

No comments:

Post a Comment